If you watch a lot of Korean dramas or live in Korea you may hear people calling each other ‘yeobo’ (여보) and wondered what it means. Below you’ll learn the meaning of yeobo, how to pronounce and use the word yeobo, and some related expressions.
What Does Yeobo Mean?
Yeobo (여보) is an affectionate way to call your husband or wife. Yeobo is similar to ‘honey’, or ‘darling’ in English. Yeobo is only used by married couples.
Can Both Men And Women Use Yeobo?
Yes. Yeobo can be used by both men and women as an affectionate way to call their wife/husband ‘honey’ or ‘darling’.
Yeobo (여보) is pronounced [yeo-bo]. Click the audio below to listen to a native Korean speaker say 여보.
Yeobo Meaning – Example Sentences
Married couples often call each other “Yeobo” rather than calling their names. Here are some examples sentences in Korean using “Yeobo” (여보):
- 여보야! 보고 싶어! [yeo-bo-ya! Bo-go si-peo!] = Yeobo (honey/darling)! I miss you!
- 여보야! 저녁 뭐 먹을까? [yeo-bo-ya! Jeo-nyeok mweo meo-gul-gga?] = Yeobo (honey/darling)! What shall we eat for dinner?
- 여보야! 도와줘. [yeo-bo-ya! Do-wa-jweo.] = Yeobo (honey/darling)! Help me, please.
- 여보야! 뭐 해? [yeo-bo-ya! Mweo hae?] = Yeobo (honey/darling)! What are you doing?
- 여보야! 몇 시야? [yeo-bo-ya! Myeot si-ya?] = Yeobo (honey/darling)! What time is it?
Here are some more affectionate Korean expressions you can use to call your boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife.
- 자기야! [Ja-gi-ya] = Jagiya means ‘honey/darling’. This can be used by both married and unmarried couples.
- 내 사랑 [nae Sa-rang] = My love.
- 여봉 [yeo-bong] = Yeobong is a cute way to say ‘yeobo’. So if you want to use ‘aegyo‘ when calling your husband/wife, you can say 여봉 [yeo-bong].
- 당신 [dang-sin] = When married couples use this word it is an affectionate way to say ‘You’. But, be careful! When non-married people or strangers say 당신 it means ‘you’ in quite a rude/aggressive way. Check out this lesson on How To Say “You” in Korean to learn more.
Thanks for reading. Before you go, don’t forget to check out our lessons on common Korean Phrases to learn more useful expressions you can use in daily conversation.